Sunday, January 24, 2010

Basketball in the Bush


This is my bed from last night and for tonight. It is located in Colleen's classroom.


Why would I want to sleep in the school? Let me tell you:


During basketball season, a lot of the athletic budgets for any school go towards travel. In the lower 48, you might take a bus to your game and be gone probably no more than 6 hours. Here, if they're going to spend the money, they are going to make it worth it - meaning a weekend of basketball.

Usually, we try to split the cost of the plane with our opponites. The first weekend of the season the plane came and got our girls team, brought them to Stebbins, where it picked up the boys team and brought them here. Vice-versa on the way back, and the two schools split the cost. Due to teams forfiting because of numbers or any number of other reasons, it can't always work out like that, however.


So, this weekend, our boys headed to Unalakleet and the White Mountain girls' basketball team came here. White Mountain arrived here Friday morning, they played a game Friday evening and Saturday evening, and leave Sunday morning. The players and coach sleep in the classrooms. We get enough itinerant people in and out that we have a few matresses for this purpose, and some of the girls brought their own air matresses. Only one or two girls had to be on the floor.

This is all fine and dandy, except for their coach is a male. Mike cannot sleep in a classroom with 8 teenage girls. So, I was approached by our athletic director to chaperone the girls for $50 a night. Sounds good to me.

So here I am, sitting in Colleen's room at 11:03 on a Saturday night. It's cool though. It's not the first time I've done it (Volleyball season, Golovin), and it probably won't be the last. Unless I have a prior commitment, I will probably agree everytime.

My job was totally easy this time, too. Mike is a teacher in White Mountain, and actually was in Shishmaref for many years as well too. He keeps them pretty under control. He has a bedtime for them, and will personally come shut off the lights. So I don't have to worry about any of that. He seems really fun too, so he's easy for the girls to respect.

So anyway, I think I'll go change into my pajamas and brush my teeth, and get ready for another night in the school!


1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty excited about how clean my room was when I got back into the room.

    ReplyDelete