Monday, June 28, 2010

Change of Plans

I am having a good time here in Ohio! I arrived on May 23rd and have been pretty busy since I have been here.

I had 2 bachelorette parties (Theresa's and Lisa's), 2 weddings, coaching swim team, family visiting from out of state, my 23rd birthday, and my sister received her Ph. D.. I have visited lots of family and friends and got to go shopping and eat out. I have been able to swim again and it felt good to be back in the pool swimming laps!

All of my plans are on hold right now though. Since I have been home, I had 4 "episodes" and felt really, really sick. Last Sunday night, into Monday morning, it was so bad, I thought I was having a heart attack or something. It was my stomach, my chest, just everywhere. My mom took me to the emergency room, where an ultrasound was done, revealing that I had gall stones. I met with a surgeon later that afternoon and had my gall bladder removed on Friday. They did 5 little cuts and pulled it out through my bellybutton. All the bandages are still on, so I don't know what any of this looks like. It was a two hour surgery.

So, the day after the surgery I was supposed to go to Lisa and Tom's wedding, but I just couldn't. I couldn't move on my own. I couldn't have rode in the car or made it from the parking lot to the church. I know that she understands, but I am really upset about it. People have been posting pictures on Facebook, and there were so many Delta Zeta sisters there, and it makes me really sad that I didn't get to see them all.

This coming weekend, my plan was to go to Minnesota to see Justine and Trent get married. I just don't think I can do it. I can't lift more than 10 pounds for at least 2 weeks. I would need to get a lot of help with my luggage - getting it to the airport in a taxi, checked at the airport, into a taxi, into the hotel. Even if I could figure out how to manage that, I think I would have a hard time sitting on an airplane, and walking through the airport and getting to the wedding. I know Justine understands, but it is still really disappointing. My summer plans have definitely changed.

Today, 3 days after the surgery, I can get out of the chair by myself and walk around a bit. But even with the percocet, I am very sore. I can't drive as long as I am on the medication. So, I am kind of confined to the house. I have been reading, watching movies, and trying to relax.

Visitors are welcome! Come see me!

1 comment:

  1. Poor little girl. I just want you to remember what this would have been like if you'd been in Alaksa. I'm sorry you are missing your events, but this has a serious silver lining. And your mom is there to take care of you!