Saturday, November 6, 2010

I am alive!

I haven't blogged in months. I have been meaning to. However, to be completely honest, when I am not going home until 7 or 8 at night, I usually don't want to stick around at school any longer so that I can post.

Here I am, though! Saturday night, at school.  I was skyping with a friend and then doing a little bit of school work, and I was thinking "I should totally blog". I think I will make my grandparents happy!

I have been back in Shishmaref since the middle of August. Colleen and I moved to the house next door, and we're enjoying it. Not having buckets under the sink, and having a shower are fabulous things - not to mention the spacious kitchen. I have two curtains hanging in place of doors for my bedroom, however. I might be getting doors this coming week though. Hopefully. The district carpenter is scheduled to come, so keep your fingers crossed for me!

School is good, but busy. This year's class has 19 little munchkins. They are a good group, but a little more high maintenance than last year's group. I am enjoying them, though. They are starting to get adjusted to the routines of school and I am seeing a lot of improvements with them! It should be a good year.

Shishmaref lost Steve and Angie to Brevig Mission this year. They are missed for sure. We did get two new teaching couples this year. Jack and Barbra are the new 3rd grade and K-1 teacher, respectively. They are from the Sacramento area of California. I had dinner with them earlier this week and had a really good time. Kiley and Kevin are the new Elementary Special Ed. and Jr. High/HS Social Studies teachers, respectively. I am loving them! They are from Indianapolis. I was supposed to get together with them this past summer, but my surgery put a damper on that plan. They are really fun, and we spend quite a bit of time together.

I coached cross country again this year. I had a much bigger team than last year. It was really fun, and there are a lot of really talented runners in Shishmaref. I hope to have even more on the team next year, and hopefully some of the veteran runners will have even more success.



I got new glasses this week. The frames are not much different, but kind of a brownish pink. they have butterflies on the side. They are Juicy Couture... ooohh la la.
My perscription is actually weaker. My first pair of glasses was a year ago. They said that because my eyes were finally able to relax, they got better. I did get scolded though - the eye doctor said I need to wear them all the time, especially when I am on the computer. So I am trying to remember them everyday.

Thanksgiving is just around the corner, so I am looking forward to that. Also, I decided to go home to Ohio for Christmas and I was able to buy a ticket thanks to a little bit of help from my dad. So, I am looking forward to that too - only 6 weeks away!

Hope that you enjoyed an update of my life, the past 3 months at least!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, Amy, this grandparent is certainly glad to see a new blog!
    Can't wait to see you at Christmas!!
    Luv ya,
    Ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Amy my name is Jeff Russ and I a reporter with the Ashland Times-Gazette. I've stumbled upon your blog and I find your story interesting. I would like to do a profile about you for the Ashland newspaper, if you could please call me at 800-463-9711 or email me at jruss@times-gazette.com. I promise this not spam. Thanks

    ReplyDelete